Friday 1 January 2016

Hula hoop rug weaving

At some point, I stumbled upon a Pintrest tutorial on how to weave a rug using old fabric and a hula hoop. Since I've only ever used my - rather large - hula hoop 2 or 3 times (not enough space indoors, I was constantly damaging things), I thought this may be a good way to put it to use.

I used a tutorial that seems to be down at the time of writing this (original link). However, Pintrest has lots of similar tutorials (here's a place to start).


It was very easy to do and went a lot more quickly than crocheting something this size (at least for me). I used 2 old double/king duvet sets with some spare fabric left over. After finishing the weaving, I crocheted 1 row around the edge to make it heavier and stop it from curling up. As an alternative, you may want to weave quite loosely (also when tying off!) to prevent this from happening.


And yes, that's the pouf I made a while ago there on the right. I do like upcycling and currently there's another idea brewing involving (non-hula-hoop) weaving and old jeans. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment