Wednesday 19 February 2014

Arm knitted scarf

I had seen a few of these being happily repinned on Pintrest and decided I couldn't ignore this cool looking trend of arm knitting anymore (neither could the Wall Street Journal). I thought, having knit 5 or so scarves on knitting needles before, I would get the mechanics quite quickly. Not so... It's probably just me but I had to look at several videos to find one from SimplyMaggie that caused my 'Eureka moment'

Once you get started it's actually really quick (about half an hour) and simple. The hardest part is to keep your arms from tiring out because you use different muscles in this particular form of knitting than you normally would. Having armrests on the chair was quite convenient :-)

I followed the method in the above tutorial to the letter but as my yarn I recycled 200 g (100 for each strand) of  Sirdar's Faroe super chunky. This yarn used to form a thick scarf/wrap I made as my first ever adult knitting project but never wore (obviously I had been far too excited about my first project and forgot about wearability!).


I like the different tones in this yarn but wasn't sure if it would work for arm knitting too, since all the tutorials and pictures I saw were done with yarn in a single colour. I think my blended yarn works very nicely too though:


I probably also made the scarf a bit longer than most (about 2-2.5 m), so I could have the option of wrapping it in different ways, and even use it as a cowl when tucking in the ends.


It's nice and warm and I like its 'airy' texture much more than the previous incarnation of the yarn. I have even worn it outside :-) All in all, I quite enjoyed the experience and may arm knit some more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment